Weight: 6.6kg / 14.5lbs
Height: 62cm
Head circ: 41cm
Little tub!
Then came the not so fun part - jabs. Poor thing cried her little eyes out and she was way overdue for a nap too, so that made it much worse. After her jabs we went to have an ultrasound of her hips to see if they have aligned properly yet. They had to be over a 60 degree angle, and they were 68 and 71 - yay! This means we can stop putting the extra padding in between her nappy and vest (although I had actually forgotten to do it lately...oops). The Dr seemed really happy with her progress which is good.
One thing they have advised is that we start weaning her. I'm really conflicted on this. In the UK/US the guidelines are now to wait until 6 months as it's believed babies weaned before this can develop food allergies and IBS problems later in life. However, our paediatrician has said we should give her a few spoons on pureed carrot or apple at lunchtime, for 6 weeks, and then introduce potato and meat. She said if we dont start weaning before 6 months, her system won't develop properly.
Inara COULD be ready for weaning. She's constantly chewing things, she watches us eat intently and she cries when she smells our food, plus she's been waking up a lot in the last week. This could be the 4 month growth sourt though...
I don't want to be depriving her if she's hungry, but I don't want to be causing her problems as an adult - argh!! Any advice??
She's not been a happy bunny for the rest of today - only wanting to sleep on me or feed. I gave her a baby paracetamol suppository earlier which I am hoping will kick in soon!!
4 comments:
OK, this post made me look up when we started to introduce solids to Molly. She got rice cereal (made with breastmilk) at 4 and a half months and then just after 5 months old I started to introduce baby food (started with the veggies). This was in addition to breastmilk. I did not cut back on any boob time. She had as much as she wanted on that front. I introduced the rice cereal because she was just hungry and I was trying to help her feel full. Same thing with the baby food.
So, when I hear the word "wean" I can't help but think BS!
Thanks Kim, that actually helps me a lot! It's all so conflicted - one Dr saying do it and the other saying don't! The Dr that said do it told me to give her 2-3 spoons of puree and then boob, but not to expect her to want much.
I agree with Kim totally on this one. I sent you an email with a few links to look at.
I am wondering if the doctor that told you that was male, because I had the same problem with a couple male doctors myself. When I changed to a female, got totally different, and encouraging advice. Trying not to be sexist with that comment, but it really bothered me for a very long time.
Hi Hayley
Maybe you could speak to your doctor or nurse and explain that you had thought about waiting until six months to wean in line with World Health Organisations advice and see what their thoughts on it are?
Ciaran is always shoving things in his mouth but I think that is more to do with teething at the mo.
Post a Comment