Friday, 4 September 2009

Growth spurts suck

Inara's hit her 4 month growth spurt early. This means I've been averaging about 4 hours sleep a night for the least week - ugh. She'd better do some good growing!!

Last night I had a killer headache, but she woke up at 1am crying loudly, which is very unusual for her. Mark walked around with her for a while, and then I fed her back to sleep, but she was up again a few minutes later. Tonight hasn't been any better. She was asleep until 9pm but then woke up and nothing would console her. Again, after walking around and feeding her, she started to doze off. I left her in my arms for a while and she just lay there switching between eyes wide open and looking at me, and that glazed 'milk coma' look she gets! She finally went back down and is still asleep. Fingers crossed that she won't be up again any time soon!

I'm wondering if we are disturbing her when we go to bed, as she does seem to wake about 20-30 minutes after we settle in. Obviously, the cure is to put her into her own room, but I'm not sure! FSID recommend that she stays in our room for 6 months, and I think night feeds would be much harder if I have to trek down the hall and feed her in a chair, rather than just scoop her up from beside the bed and feed her where it's already nice a warm. Plus, I do love having her with us, where I can hear her babble to herself in the morning and hear her breathing at night. I'd be a wreck the first week or so if she left, constantly getting up to check she's alive!

Sigh, parenthood is hard!

1 comment:

Kim said...

She might be waking up because she smells you in the same room. It's been my experience (and with talking to other moms) that those who are having sleep issues are those with little ones in their room with them and those with little ones sleeping through the night are those with little ones in their own room. The baby can smell mama and rather than learning to fall back asleep on their own they wake up because they know you are there. This is just my experience. Every little one is different as is every mom. Do what you feel comfortable with and what you think is best for your own situation.