Monday, 2 November 2009

A weekend of highs and lows

So this weekend was a mixed bunch!

The highs:
Inara's new Hauck Alpa highchair arrived Saturday. I was so excited to put it together while she took a nap! She didn't look too thrilled to see it when she woke up, but once she realised she could sit up in it, she was all smiles and laughs. We put Madagascar 2 on TV for her while we got on with house stuff and she sat happily, kicking her legs and giggling at the music.

Inara also tried Baby Zwieback for the first time. For those in the UK, zwieback are a bit like Melba Toast but sweeter. At first she just thought we'd given her another toy to play with, but after putting it into her mouth (where everything ends up eventually) and realising it had a taste, she whipped it back out for closer inspection. She wasn't too sure to start with! Finally she gummed and sucked it to pieces and seemed to enjoy herself, getting covered in sticky goo in the process!

The lows:
Mark came home from football about 3:30pm and said he'd taken a bad fall during the game and his arm hurt. He couldn't really hold it straight, and I insisted we went to the hospital. Also, he'd had his big toe stood on and it was swelling up and had turned blue! I called Ian and Sylvi to ask if they could possibly take us, and they came straight round. The hospital is only 5 minutes away, but by the time we got there Mark was limping badly and was in pain from his arm. We didn't have to wait too long to be seen, Sylvi went with Mark to translate, while Ian and I stayed outside with Inara.

About 30 minutes later Sylvi stuck her head out to tell us that Mark was going to an x-ray, no shock there. Then Ian and I waited...and waited...and waited. After a couple of hours, Sylvi appeared again to confirm what I thought all along, Mark's arm was broken! I went in to see him and he was in a lot of pain. The fracture is hairline and just below the elbow. He had to wait another hour or so to get it sorted out. They gave him a splint on the underside of his arm, then wrapped it in bandages, then gave him a hard cast on the outside of his arm to prevent it getting knocked, then more bandages! Although Mark didn't want to make a fuss, I made sure Sylvi told them about his toe too. They decided to relieve the pressure by driving a metal spike into the nail to bleed it - ew!

We finally left about 6 hours later. The hospital had given Mark some pain relief there, but as we were signing out he was still in agony, so I insisted we see if they could give us anything else as I knew it would only get worse in the night. The Dr couldn't give him anything but Tetrazepam, a muscle relaxant, to take at bedtime to try and help.

We got home and I tried to make him comfortable, but he was in a lot of pain and his arm had really started to itch which drove him mad. Poor Inara was exhausted by this point and had missed her solid food dinner, so I gave her a quick bath and a long breastfeed to make up for it and she was in bed asleep by 9:30pm. Mark and I went to bed at midnight and he took the tablet then. It seemed to make him quite drowsy, but every time he almost dropped off, he would do the 'man jerk' and his arm would jolt, causing him agony. He finally went to sleep about 1am, and I crawled into bed in the spare room.

We have to go to the Dr on Tuesday to get the toe bandages changed and also to check the cast, then back to the hospital on Friday for another x-ray to make sure it's healing ok.

To top it all off, Inara scratched me in the eye at 4am and I can't see out of it properly!

Oh, and the car has a flat.....sigh.

The patient:

No comments: