Sunday, 30 May 2010

Mannheim commissary and PX.......drool

My friend Angela is married to a guy in the forces here in Germany, so today she took me to the Mannheim base to buy some goodies. Oh. My. God. I forgot how much I love the bases!! I am a sucker for American groceries, everything looks bright, shiny and packaged for big kids! I bought waaaaaaaaay too much as usual, but I have my fix of treats for a while now and it is super cheap. I also bought Inara a lot of new clothes, including a gorgeous pink dress that I am contemplating her wearing for Stacie's wedding next weekend. I do have one already, but a girl likes choices!

Inara stayed at home with Mark and I missed her so much. Angela took her daughter, Johanna, who is 10 months old, and it just made me realise how much I missed my little bug. Johanna was such a good girl all day, she rarely moaned or cried, even though she spent 90% of the time in her stroller and had about 30 minutes sleep all day. We ate in The Village Grill which was ok. The atmosphere was a little lacking, but we had a nice meal (complete with giant American sized sodas) and then headed home. I didn't realise how long we would be out. I left the house at 11am and got home at 7:30pm!

Inara was happy to see me, but she did NOT want to go to bed. In the end we took turns shushing her and stroking her hair while she whimpered and rolled about in bed. Eventually she crashed out at 9:30pm. Mark said she slept for 3 hours this afternoon so that might have been why, or she might have been missing me as she seemed to want me the most. Poor thing!

2 comments:

Kim said...

"complete with giant American sized sodas"

OK, that cracked me up. I remember some old co-workers (HUGE guys that ate like they were still teenagers) complaining about the kid's size sodas in Europe and how hard it was to get refills. These are people that consider 32 ounces to be a "regular" size soda.

Gee, I wonder why there's an obesity problem in America?

Hayley said...

Seriously, it was like a bucket of soda!