Sunday, 23 November 2008

Another week flies past - 14 weeks!

It's been a busy week, I finally had my results. Turns out my blood is all ok, but I am O Rh negative. This means that I will probably have to have a couple of anti-D injections. Basically, if the baby's blood is O positive and our blood mixes (which can happen if you have a blow to the stomach or during labour) then they attack each other. The anti-D injection stops this happening. We need to find out what Mark is, if he's negative too, then the baby will be, so I won't need the injections (yay!).

I've also been told I have Group B Strep, which is normally a harmless and naturally occuring bacteria, but if the baby catches it on the way out, it's not good. I have to have an antibiotic drip during labour to make sure this doesn't happen. Honestly, I've been poked and prodded and stuck with needles so much!

The bump is growing now too. It's more noticable when I have on pyjamas as my jeans hold a lot of it in. I am resisting buying maternity clothes (or just bigger clothes) for as long as I can to save money.

I told the kids at work about the baby on Tuesday and they were all so excited! They loved seeing the ultrasound photo and have been guessing what sex it is and suggesting names. Unsurprisingly, the favourites are Harry and Hermione - guess what books they are into?!

UPDATE - turns out I am O positive! Stupid bloody nurse told me the wrong blood type!

3 comments:

Fran said...

My friend from work who had twins had Group B streo so she had to have the antibiotic drip and all was fine. 14 weeks? thats gone so quick!x

Kim said...

I feel you on the needle front. You do get used to them after a certain point though. I also had the antibiotic drip and no problems there. Since I was induced my IV rack was quite full of little bags by the time everything was said and done.

Anonymous said...

Blimey, when I was having Hayley (and Sarah)we would have thought Group B Strep was a new pop group or something!! Anyway, dont know where the negative blood thingy comes from - sure H's dad and me are both boring old O positives but if thats what they say!! Glad to see you are getting over your needle phobia - when needs must and all that - anyway, 14 weeks has flown by, lets hope the rest of the time is as quick (and I bet Hayley will second me on that!!)